Dear [Name of Board Member],
I write to you today out of grave concern for the future of the University of Evansville. It is because your institution means so much to me that I support the Save UE campaign. This is a campaign by the UE chapter of the AAUP to restore shared governance to the University of Evansville.
I do not support the President’s proposed academic alignment plan because I believe that its implementation would have disastrous consequences. The huge cuts outlined in that plan would impede the university from fulfilling its educational mission, diminish the surviving programs, lower the teaching standards for current UE students, and restrict the options of future UE students.
Furthermore, I was shocked to learn that the President’s plan neither follows the university’s policies on curricular change nor recognizes that, within the university’s shared governance system, the faculty has primary responsibility over education policy. It is the duty of the President to uphold the policies of the university and the principles that underpin them.
I would like you to know that I wholeheartedly support the objectives of the Save UE campaign:
• The implementation of the AAUP-derived system of shared governance defined in the Faculty Manual within which the faculty has primary responsibility over educational policy
• The following of the university’s policies on curricular change as defined in the Faculty Manual within which proposals for curricular changes are to pass through the Curriculum Committee and the Faculty Senate
• The release of a complete draft institutional “alignment plan” including but not limited to all proposed changes to curriculum, faculty, staff, administration, and athletics prior to the making of any final decisions on the removal of departments, majors or faculty members
• The completion of a process within which each department is given the opportunity to review and verify all the program data used within the President’s program evaluations that relates to its programs prior to the making of any final decisions on the removal of departments, majors or faculty members
• The adherence to university policies on dismissal as defined in the Faculty Manual and to all the AAUP documents relating to dismissal endorsed by the Faculty Manual in all dismissal proceedings
I hope that you will consider this letter carefully and that you will respond to it by urging the President and your fellow board members to immediately carry out the moderate and reasonable actions sought by the Save UE campaign. By restoring the shared governance envisioned in the University of Evansville’s founding document, we can Save UE and so truly face the future unafraid!